The OpenPOWER Foundation is an open technical community based on the POWER architecture, enabling collaborative development and opportunity for member differentiation and industry growth.
OpenPOWER Mission Statement
The goal of the OpenPOWER Foundation is to create an open ecosystem, using the POWER Architecture to share expertise, investment, and server-class intellectual property to serve the evolving needs of customers and industry.
OpenPOWER Foundation is an open, not-for-profit technical membership group incorporated in December 2013. It has applied for 501c6 not-for-profit status and was incepted to enable today’s data centers to rethink their approach to technology. OpenPOWER was created to develop a broad ecosystem of members that will create innovative and winning solutions based on POWER architecture.
From an industry perspective, OpenPOWER is changing the game. It will enable and drive innovation and offer more choice in the industry. It is the intent of OpenPOWER Foundation to:
- Opening the POWER architecture to give the industry the ability to innovate across the full Hardware and Software stack
- Simplify system design with alternative architecture
- Includes SOC design, Bus Specifications, Reference Designs, Firmware OS and Open Source Hypervisor
- Little Endian Linux to ease the migration of software to POWER
- Drive an expansion of enterprise class Hardware and Software stack for the data center
- Build a complete ecosystem to provide customers with the flexibility to build servers best suited to the Power architecture