OpenPOWER ISA Compliance Definition
Date Added: January 25, 2017
Revision: 1.0 WG SpecificationOpenPOWER ISA Compliance Definition
- Technical Resource
- OpenPOWER WorkGroup
- Technical Working Group
- Hardware Architecture
The OpenPOWER ISA Compliance Definition defines the test suite requirements to demonstrate OpenPOWER ISA Profile compliance.
It contains the following:
• Section describing the test harness needed to execute the test suite
• Section describing the tests required to be in the test suite
• Section describing the successful execution of the test suite, including what it means for an optional feature to fail.
The initial version of this document will be based on the POWER8 systems. It is expected that this
document shall be updated for future generation OpenPOWER systems.
The input to this specification are the following specifications:
- OpenPOWER Specification: Power Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) – OpenPOWER Profile which describes the categories of the POWER ISA Version 2.07 B that are required in the OpenPOWER processor chip architecture.
- IBM Power ISA Version 2.07 B
The testing of a processor implementation’s compliance against the Power ISA – OpenPOWER Profile is ultimately intended to ensure that software shown to execute properly on one compliant processor implementation will execute properly on a different also compliant processor implementation. The testing is not intended to show that the processor implementation under test is robust under all possible operating conditions, inputs, or event time interactions. It is intend to show that the processor implementation under test implemented the ISA as specified and that the ISA specification was interpreted by the processor developers as intended by the ISA specification author.
This document is a Standard Track, Work Group Specification work product owned by the Compliance Workgroup and handled in compliance with the requirements outlined in the OpenPOWER Foundation Work Group (WG) Process document.
Comments, questions, etc. can be submitted to the public mailing list for this document at